Tonight was our Annual Christmas party.... Here is Canyon I think he might be saying "hello" with his toes... He got the Rudolph movie on DVD.
Liv-a-love... She got duct tape.
Hayder babes got a Big Bang Theory t-shirt. BAZINGA!
Madz, she got a sock monkey - they freak her out; it was a joke, she did not find it funny!!
We did!
All the grand kids...
In light of it being a Christenson night, we are going to let Tom do the top 12 tonight.....
Top 12 places to go during the Christmas season. This is a combination of things I have done in the past, and things that I could do again this year!
#1: A Christmas Carol - whether you see it at the Hale Center Theater or watch it on TV, nothing beats a little horror mixed with Christmas!
#2: Carthage Jail near Nauvoo, IL during the Christmas season. Tiff and I got to go through the jail tour a few years back, and since there are few visitors during the winter months, we had the room where Joseph Smith died to ourselves for as long as we wanted. I have never felt such powerful vibes in a place in my life (well, except for the time I put Baby Jesus on the ouija board at Christmas time - but that is a story for another time, and it was a different power). The sense of sacrifice and the gratefulness of a Savior was so strong, and it really added to our Christmas season that year.
#3: A Christmas Concert performed by a choir in a non-LDS church. I do not remember who I went with, or the exact year, but I attended a Christmas choir program at the Wasatch Presbyterian Church (1700 E 1700 S) and I do not think I have heard a more beautiful Christmas performance; the type that you remember years later and have never heard as good of one since. Not only were the vocals so good, but they included these neat bells and other instruments. The atmosphere was very spiritual and the music was so good; I remember thinking that I had never heard anything close to this good ever in my life.
#4: Attend a Christmas Mass - As a teenager, I think it was my senior year, I attended a Christmas mass with a friend. It was at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church (700 E 8600 S) and I remember attending the 10 or 11 PM mass with my friend's family. I remember them being shocked that I would go with them being that I was a "mormon" kid. I accepted the invite and went along to experience the full evening. I listened to the band (electric guitar and drums included) play Christmas music, and participated in Holy Communion/Eucharist. The experience was different than any other Christmas Eve, spending time with others celebrating the birth of Christ.
#5: A stranger's home. Another experience I remember growing up was when my parents and I (maybe some of my siblings but I do not remember), and some of our friends took Christmas to the home of strangers. I remember taking wrapped gifts, a TV and maybe even some furniture to a small apartment in downtown Salt Lake. The thing I remember most were the smiles and excitement of the family we were taking the items to - you would thin it was Christmas (haha) and I guess that is what we delivered. I do not know their situation and it is too far back to remember, but I do remember feeling so happy that we made someone else so happy. I just hope that if I were in that situation I would be the one humble enough to accept it!
#6: Temple Square - especially the manger scene(s) and the Christus statue. It seems that over the years they decorate less and less of the trees, but it is still nice. I still remember as a kid pulling out a single bulb on a strand and watching half the sidewalk of lights go out. And don;t forget to walk a few of the streets surrounding Temple Square to remind yourself what you and your family are so blessed to have that these people do not have.
#7: Ruth's Diner - the Trolley Car diner up Emigration Canyon. It's been awhile since I have been here, but it is one of those neat places to go at Christmas time. The old trolley car, the foggy windows, the snow and Christmas lights outside make it a fun place to eat.
#8: Christmas Street - visit the culdesac at 1735 South 1500 East near Sugarhouse.
#9: Christmas Vacation and ELF are a couple of the best Christmas comedies. I saw both in the theater when they came out. I hope more like them come out to keep the tradition of comedy going. Too many other Christmas movies just turn out lame, not quite catching the real humor of the season.
#10: The Christmas Tree lot, or an adventure into the Utah Woods to cut down your own tree. Either way you have fun, but one will probably get you a better tree.
#11: The emergency room - nothing beats a visit to the hospital room for stitches as your little girl explains how she was actually saving the snow globe.
#12: Home! Unfortunately we all have to spend too much damn time away from our home for work and other things. Some days I really wish I could just hang out with my kids and Tiff, the Christmas tree, Christmas music and movies, and a warm bed/couch and do a whole lot of nothing.




3 comments:
I like your post tom. Different insight into where to go for christmas.. I would like to see a christmas program by another religion let me know when you go again.
Totally loved this post too Tom. I went to a Christmas Eve mass with my friend when I was in 9th grade and was totally weirded out by the incense going on...but I really love the tradition of going to church to celebrate the birth of Christ on his birthday. I'm super sad I won't be able to go this year.
Thanks for the tip on Christmas street too! We will be checking that out this week.
I do love a good Christmas party...but so exhausted by the end of the season and just wanting a normal night at home. Totally get that!
Oh, and I love Hayden sitting on Santa's lap. His face is so perfect.
Post a Comment