Tuesday, December 15, 2009

2nd day of Christmas...

Getting the Christmas Tree......

Ok so yesterday's debate was fun.... I like to hear peoples thoughts even though no one disagreed (that would have been too). I know some of you are out there!!

So today's question is real or fake?? (not boobs either your Christmas tree??)
If you have a fake tree do you have traditions still in decorating it or putting it up, or is it just something mom does while the kids are at school?? We always go as a family. I like to go for my Birthday usually, which my mom thinks is funny, because she always felt she had to keep Christmas and my Birthday separate... not me I love it so it's the best way to celebrate. This year however the older kids were still in Disneyland. So we went the next day. Hayden was super thrilled to do it, but wouldn't be left home either..... This year we all picked the same tree at the same time it was easy, like it was screaming our name. It must have been used to screaming something because once we got it home we realized it must have grown on the side of some hill totally crooked. (we love our little tree anyway Audrey!!).


So here she is... decorated and all.....

J/k we look like the Littles....



Don't the kids look great!! They had just gotten home from Disneyland, and I could wait no longer....
anyway, are traditions are... getting the tree together, Tom puts on the lights oh ya and puts it in the stand cutting it etc to try and straighten it out. This year we got a S. O. B..... which was a must every year in my home growing up, it was so nostalgic!!
Then the kids and I decorate it. Madz and Liv fight over the angel but this year Maddie remembered she did it last year and freely gave it to Olivia. They do still however try to get their own first year ornament the highest....
I think it is always fun and I like the time spent doing it together. We like to watch Christmas movies while we do it too.....
So lets hear your traditions or thoughts...

9 comments:

Hilary said...

We've always had fake trees when I was growing up, as half of my family has horrific allergies that made real trees impossible. But, we had a ton of traditions in setting it up. Actually, my Mom always had two trees -- her 'fancy' one she set up perfectly all on her own, and the kid one that we all did together, going through boxes of ornaments and picking out our favorites. It's always been a big part of Christmas for us. With my own family, we still have to do fake. Between mine and Annie's allergies (you've probably noticed the nearly permanent snotty nose on that kid -- we can't have any live plants or strong smells in our house 'cause of her) we're kinda forced to . . . but we had so much fun this year setting it up. Between her and Ellie there were two or three ornaments on everyone of the lower branches they could reach :-)
I always did wish I could go out as a family and pick out a tree and bring it home -- but overall I don't feel like it changes our 'tree' traditions that much! Maybe one year when they're older we'll 'risk it' and just go with a real tree one time :-)

Shake-N-Bake said...

We bought a fake tree a couple of years ago . . . I miss getting the real tree and the smell, but we still have fun putting it up. The tradition I had growing up that I have carried on to my family is that our ornaments are home-made. And every year we add to our ornament collection. One thing that I didn't get growing up, that I am passing on to my kids is that they get to put their name on at least one that they make of each kind to take with them when they grow-up to start their own collection. It is fun putting on the ornaments every year, and we do that as a family, and looking at the ornaments of years past and remembering making them.

Amanda said...

I too miss the real tree, scent and all. But, I don't miss the needles everywhere, especially when Christmas is over and the tree has to be taken outside. What a pain. A couple of years ago, I started a new tradition with the kids. I found three fake trees, the ones that people decorate with. My Mom gave me another one, so I thought it would be fun to let the kids have their own tree and decorate it. No more fighting for the highest place!! Growing up, we got to pick a new ornament from Hallmark. It was so much fun going to the mall and picking one from all the beautiful ornaments. I do this with my kids now. Some years we go to the store, other years I surprise them with a ornament. The kids love digging their ornaments out each year and placing them on their trees!!

Becky said...

Ok, so the Christmas I was pregnant with Chloe we had a real tree. Now the smell of real Christmas trees reminds me of barfing my brains out. Needless to say, we go fake. This year we have 3 trees. Green and gold upstairs, a white tree with red and green downstairs and the most colorful tree you've ever seen in the playroom that the kids decorated all by themselves. I'll post pics on my blog. And Hayden does look thrilled, doesn't he. Too funny!

andrewandshawnawhite said...

We always had fake when I lived at home so this will be our first year to have a real tree which we are getting this weekend.... Lame I know!! I am not sure what I will think of a real tree I sure hope I like it!!(Audj made me a little nervous) I will Video Tape Me and Andrew I am sure it will be Good times LOL:->.. I always Loved when I was little getting out the Christmas Tree Me and My sister always got to decorate the one in The Living room Downstairs that was are tree we could decorate it however we wanted lol Probably cus hardley anyone saw it lol and my mom did the One in the Living room it was always Perfect and no one else touched that one!! I just Love christmas My mom always made it so Fun!! But I never cared If we got a real or Fake It was always so much fun Pulling all the decorations Out!! My least favorite is when Christmas is over You have to put it all away!! o BTW We drove by and I saw the Christmas Tree the one in the ground not for sale that Canyon wanted lol Drew wanted that one to ha ha:->

Autumn and Mitch said...

Im a real tree girl! Real all the way, nothing beats the smell and look of a perfectly unperfect tree. I love having to vacuum up the needles, because then when you vacuum after christmas it smells like a christmas tree. I don't think its a pain vacuuming up the needles it only takes a few minutes. A few years I have gone and cut down my christmas tree like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation and its the greatest thing ever. Shawna and I decided it should become the new tradition, all go together to heber and get trees together. So next year family we are going to cut down our own trees. Just wait for that sweet experience of the glowing tree, and Audreys eyes being too frozen to see the tree. Ha ha I freakin love the movie as much as mom.

Autumn and Mitch said...

Also Mitch and I are carrying on the hand painted ornaments from his family and a real tree from mine. Which will be so fun when the minnies come and can actually paint.

dan and audrey said...

real real REAL!!! yes my tree this year is leaning A LOT, but that doesn't stop me from loving having it! sorry i said such hurtful things about my tree, but you've seen it... its bad. I will always and forever fight for a real tree, i love it and the needles i have to vacuum up ( makes your house smell like Christmas that much longer) love the real tree!!!

Howard Family said...

a day late I know. we are real all the way, love it, hope allergies don't ever drive us to fake like it did mom, although I'm not sure mike would go fake even then. One of the few things in life we agree on. I also don't like perfectly deocorated trees. They are suppose to be a modge podge of christmas memories, not all perfectly matchy match match, at least in my book, colored lights and funny preschool decorations all the way for us