Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

Ok so I follow this blog that I love (thanks to Becky) and this lady blogged yesterday about Lent starting today, I don't really know anything about Lent except you give something up for 40 days.... well she did a lengthy post on it and said it is a count down to Easter, an anticipation to New Beginnings..... so you give something up, and or take something on.... something to being a new you is what I take from it... all you Catholics out there I'm not claiming to know what I'm talking about I just think it sounds like a good thing to try.... Her post the day before had been about trying something new she had seen on Someones blog called Family Home Evening... funny right so if she can take something from my religion to better her family I can certainly take something from hers to better myself... it starts today, and I would really like to learn more about the whole thing so if anyone out there can give me the low down I would really appreciate it!! I am going to go the 40 days without swearing... I know I know its supposed to something that you value which I don't value swear words, (I do however find them funny sometimes) but it is something I really would like to change about myself. I also don't think I could go without sugar(which is something I really value and should be going without) it would be like Jesus fasting for 40 days for me because it is all I eat... and lets be real here I am in no way close to my brother's perfectness so I don't think I would make it! I am also going to take on reading my scriptures better so for sure each of the next 40 days... I know I am opting the easy way out on my Lent adventure, but not really knowing what its for sure about I'll give it a simple try.... let me know any thoughts on this!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it's a great idea! You made me stop and think what I could give up for 40 days. I like the things are going to give up. There is no way we could do what our Brother did. Let us know how you are doing:) What is the site that gave you the idea?

Hilary said...

My (Mormon) sisters and I have all talked about Lent a lot lately, and how 40 days of sacrifice in preparing for Easter and celebrating the ultimate sacrifice, is an unbelievably worthwhile and meaningful celebration . . . and actually, two of my four siblings all gave up something for Lent last year, and three are planning something this year . . .
(I was lazy this year, and feel kinda guilty -- right now though I feel like I've given up my brain to pregnancy, and I would suck at Lent this year!)

Carlye Momma said...

You make me happy. I think those are both fantastic things to give up. I could certainly follow your example and do the same thing. :-) LOVE LOVE LOVEd this post!!!

Christenson's said...

The blog is www.memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com you will quickly become addicted to reading it!

Johnsons said...

Hi Tif Im one of your Catholic friends. Gage gives up all his games, ps2, ps3, and the wii every year. Phenix gave up meat. I think that ones harder on me then her cuz of the cooking part. I told Ty surprize we are all giving up meat! told me I dont think so.... I gave up bread. You dont have to give up things I also try to better myself in some way. stop swearing always a good one for me...Hee Hee... This year I added two more days of working out. oh we always give up fast food as a family thats pretty easy for us.

Becky said...

I thought the same thing when I read her post. I'm pretty sure her and I should be BFFs, but probably everyone thinks that about her. BTW, did you see her post about her love of AZ? See? BFFs.
Anyhoo, I think it's great you are participating in Lent. We used to observe Lent when I was Methodist. I found a good explanation of what I understand it to be on wikipedia for you: "There are traditionally forty days in Lent which are marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving (justice towards neighbour). Today, some people give up a vice of theirs, add something that will bring them closer to God, and often give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations." There is also some significance to each Sunday leading up to Easter about Christ overcoming temptation and also Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter) which commemorates when Christ rode into Jerusalem on the a$$ (because you're not swearing) and the people laid their clothing and tree branches on the ground before Him.
Sounds like a worthy thing to do. Good luck. Please post about your results. It would be interesting to hear about.

Becky said...

Did I really just leave you a 3 paragraph comment? Embarra$$ing.